Thursday, November 7, 2013

Ya Gotta Love Tennessee

   Tennessee is sooooo very different from Oregon.  But ya gotta love it here.  Let me share just a few things we have learned.  First of all a shopping cart is called a"buggy".  If you buy a 6 pack of soda that are hooked together by the plastic ring things, you balance them on the edge of your buggy.  Three in and three out.  Leaves more room in the cart.  Speaking of soda, in Tennessee when ordering a soda you simply ask for a Coke, then you tell them what kind such as diet Dr. Pepper which just might be the most popular soda around, or diet Pepsi or whatever.  Ya gotta love the Coke drinkers here in Tennessee.
   Ya gotta love the folks with the sweet tooth here in Tennessee.  Everyone here seems to have a sweet tooth!  I love that.   I still make and  share between 3-5 dozen cupcakes every week.  It might seem strange but the cupcakes if they don't get us into the house, people will at least come out and talk to us.  For example,  we have been trying to catch this one lady at home for some time but with success.  Last Sunday her visiting teacher told me she is ALWAYS home she just won't answer the door.  I was told that she won't answer the phone or return phone calls either!  This was a red flag and a challenge to me.  I was going to get her to talk to me one way or another!  I made some chocolate cupcakes with a chocolate cream cheese frosting and topped them with mini chocolate bars.  I told you chocolate is one of the main food groups here.  I then called her on the phone, explained who we were and said we would be in her neighborhood in a little while and we would love to stop by, drop off a plate of cupcakes and introduce ourselves.  I told Calvin we would do this every week if necessary but I would win.  She WOULD talk to me!  We were also warned that she had 2 VERY BIG dogs.  Be careful we were told.  But with a lot of courage and Calvin in front we went to the front door!  GUESS WHAT?  She answered the door.  What a very nice lady.  She put the dogs in another room too.  She said she did not answer the phone when we called because it was an out of state number and the caller ID said "Nana Higgins" and she did not know anyone with that name or number.  Like I said the cupcakes really really work.  This sweet lady even invited us back!  Ya gotta love the people in Tennessee and their cupcakes!
  Ya gotta love driving in the small towns in Tennessee.   There are NO house numbers on the houses in Tennessee.  Most mailboxes don't have numbers on them either.  And the numbers can jump 20-30 at a time.  I mean you are looking for a 303 Johnson St.  The mailboxes will go from 103-105-125-137-215-267-285-303!  I mean where are all the other numbers between 103 and 303?  There are people all over Tennessee too.  You can be driving down a country road and turn a corner and find a beautiful new subdivision of big brick homes, complete with big porches, white columns and rocking chairs.  It you have a porch and most homes do then you have a pair of rocking chairs on them.  This is one practice I want to take back with me!  But this isn't all good news.  There are very few sidewalks in Tennessee.  I am trying to think of where there is one and we have not seen one since we have been here.  There are turning lanes all over but no sidewalks.  Since they don't have sidewalks they don't feel there is a need for street lights either and except for the main roads in town there are no street lights.  All these things put together, no house numbers, no regular mail box addresses, no sidewalks and no street lights are not good for a couple of senior missionaries from Oregon/Colorado!  Even with Matilta, our GPS, we still have no idea where we are once it starts getting dark.  Ya gotta love those men who plan and develop the towns in Tennessee.
   Ya gotta love the directions given to strangers here in Tennessee.  We asked a Brother Tolman where a Brother Johnson lived and if he could tell us how to get there.  He said of course.  This is what he said, " you go down this road pointing to the left, for probably 4 blocks, maybe 5.  Turn left and then go another couple blocks and turn left again.  Then go down 3 or 4 houses and it is on your right.  You will see his car in the driveway!  Not only did we not know who Brother Johnson was we had no idea what kind of car he drove!  Ya gotta love the directions given here in Tennessee.
   Ya gotta love the warmth and friendship given to strangers here in Tennessee.  People may not know or agree with this but Calvin is the social butterfly of the two of us.  I will talk to people if they come up and talk to me but I don't start the conversations.  The goodness of probably 99% of the people we have met is remarkable.  They put us at ease right away, make us feel welcomed and it is great meeting so many really nice people.  They treat you like a friend from the moment you meet!  They are excepting of who we are and what we are doing in Tennessee so far from home and family.  I have been accepted into the group of ladies at the pool.  I know because I get hugs from several of them in the morning and I have been invited to go to Hardee's, (Carl's Jr.) on Friday morning for coffee!  Hardee's is the local hang out for Seniors each morning.  One of the nice thing about the ladies, anyway in our group is that I am one of the younger ones.  I do like that.  Ya gotta love the folks here in Tennessee.
   Ya gotta love the way people speak here in Tennessee.  The older the person is the thicker the accent.  I love listening.  Poor Calvin, everyone we met for the first time today talked fast and with a thick accent.  He was lost from the minute they started talking.  We would get back to the car and he would say, "did you understand anything he said?"  I would then explain the conversation we had just had.  It appears I am developing the talent of, "the gift of tongues".   The fun thing is little kids will tell us we talk funny!  Ya gotta love the beautiful language spoken here in Tennessee.
   Ya gotta love the great food in Tennessee.  We have tried several new dishes here so far.  Calvin's favorite so far seems to be the Hush Puppies.  My favorite dish is definitely the Chess Pie.  I have made them both and we will have these again.  We are attending 2 early Thanksgiving dinners next week and are looking to try some new Southern Dishes.  We even picked up a free Holiday Cookbook the city of Tullahoma puts out each year and we are looking forward to trying some recipes from it.  It is a good thing we go to the gym to exercise 5 days a week.  Ya gotta love the great food here in Tennessee.
   Ya gotta love the children in Tennessee.  What can I say.  Children are children, but the children from a very early age are taught respect and reverence for faith and family.  Their manners are unbelievable.  Not just to parents either but to all adults.  Don't get me wrong, they are not perfect and a 3 year old little hell-yun is a hell-yun wherever they live and Tennessee is no different.  But I love listening to them speak.  Their sweet little accent is so cool.  Ya gotta love the children in Tennessee.
   I could go on longer, but what it comes down to is if you spend a little time here in Manchester, Tullahoma, McMinnville, or Hillsboro Tennessee you are going to love it, and we do, so that is why we say, "Ya gotta love Tennessee"!
   I of course changed the names used in the blog today.
 

3 comments:

  1. Great Job mom. It's wonderful to hear how well you are doing down there and how much you do enjoy being there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya gotta love your attitude in Tennessee. :) Sounds like you are working hard and making good progress. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you both are loving your mission. Wish I could hear some of that Tennessee accent.
    The time is going to fly. Make the most of it! Make it count! I know you are doing just that. You're doing a great work!!!

    ReplyDelete